Youth Development Specialist
Job Type: Part Time
Category: Youth Development
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
As the West Cook YMCA expands its programming and partnerships with local school districts we seek to hire interested youth development professionals interested in growing with us.
The Youth Development Specialist position will work with multiple programs within the Youth Development Department, including our preschool enrichment and our schools aged afterschool programming. This candidate will work with children from age 3 to 15. He/she will provide a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Designs curriculum within the established guidelines.
- Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans.
- Supervises and actively engages the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Conducts parent conferences, maintains communication with parents, and creates meaningful parent engagement opportunities
- Maintains program site and equipment.
- Maintains required program records.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Other duties as assigned including but not limited to: cleaning classrooms and assisting on our bus.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Previous experience working with children in an early childhood setting
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities
- Understands the unique needs of both school aged and preschool aged children
- Previous experience working with children from preschool aged to school aged
- The Youth Development Specialist will have achieved:
- Thirty semester hours (or 45 quarter hours) of credits from an accredited college or university with six semester or nine quarter hours in courses related to early childhood education, child development, elementary education or:
- One year (1560 clock hours) of experience in a licensed day care center serving school-age children or a license exempt school-age child care program operated by a public or private school, and six semester hours (or nine quarter hours) of credits from an accredited college or university related to early childhood education, school-age child care, child development, or elementary education
- At least 21 years of age and at least five years older than the oldest child with whom they work.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certified (training provided as needed)
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer.