Job Type: Part Time
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
Under the direction of the Aquatic Director the lifeguard is responsible for the safety and well-being of all patrons.
- Responsible for the safety of all individuals by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area during various activities and programs.
- Responds immediately to emergency situations accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Maintains all certifications required for the position and all other certifications required by Aquatic Director when needed.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving. Performs chemical testing as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Adhere to all guidelines and procedures set by the West Cook YMCA Handbook & Aquatic Manual
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Minimum age of 16.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Exposure to humidity/warm temperature.
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer