Head Age Group Coach
Job Type: Full Time
Category: Swim Team
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
The Head Age Group Coach for the West Cook YMCA swim team (TOPS) will work within the guidelines established by the Swim Team Director and within the scope of the YMCA's mission. The Head Age Group Coach is responsible for the safety, well- being, and enjoyment for participants in an aquatic program providing a quality lesson by instructing, demonstrating, and correcting individuals so that they learn to the best of their ability.
- Understand and demonstrate through action, the YMCA Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Understand the importance and value of the diverse backgrounds of the staff, volunteer and member/participant base.
- Play an important role in creating a friendly and welcoming environment.
- Play an important role in the new member/participant welcome process.
- Consider the needs and interest of both the member/ participants and the YMCA when making important decisions.
- Design practices to bring out the potential of all assigned swimmers.
- Coaching and overseeing Bronze, Silver and Gold training squads
- Work with Swim Team Director to create staff development plan and monitoring for Age Group coaching staff.
- Communicate with the Swim Team Director, assistant coaches, athletes, parents and YMCA Staff.
- Administer athlete registrations, monetary processing and maintain/record coaching staff credentials
- Assist with coaching Senior training squad.
- Help set up and run hosted swim meets.
- Other duties as assigned by the Swim Team Director.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- Must be a college graduate with 3-5 or more years of swim coaching experience in a YMCA or USA-Swimming program.
- ASCA Level 3 certification or higher preferred
- Current USA-Swimming coaching certification, including CPR/ First Aid/AED/ Life guarding/ Coaches Safety Training, YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming & Diving and background check.
- Knowledge of swimming and the development of young athletes
- Ability to work with and relate to people of all ages.
- Experience participating, coaching or running a swim meet.
- Experience with swim meet computer programs.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to view/enter data for long periods of time.
Email resume and cover letter to Paul Moniak, at firstname.lastname@example.org.