Job Type: Full Time
Category: Healthy Living
Compensation: Up to $32,000
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
The West Cook YMCA has made a commitment to providing premiere fitness programming that enhances individuals’ health and well-being while also fostering connections and building community. Fitness Experts are the front line staff in this movement. They provide instruction for group fitness classes onsite and offsite, conduct one-on-one and small group personal training (PT) sessions, offer fitness consultations and Wellness Center orientations, and assist with other Healthy Living programming and special events. Fitness Experts play a crucial role in helping participants to advance their workout efficiency, improve their fitness level, and most importantly, make strides towards achieving a greater sense of health and well-being.
- Model the YMCA’s commitment to improving health and well-being.
- Conduct a minimum of 8-10 PT sessions, 8-10 group fitness classes, and 8 fitness consultations per week.
- Design and implement biomechanically sound PT programs and progressions directly related to the client’s level and goals; document the client’s progress and maintain client files.
- Consistently indicate availability, projecting a minimum of 6-8 weeks into the future, using YMCA scheduling software (Appointment King)
- Allow adequate time pre/post class to engage with participants in order to help build a greater sense of community and provide opportunities for health literacy.
- Be knowledgeable of and enforce YMCA procedures and protocols related to fitness programming
- Respond immediately to emergency situations in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Adhere to all guidelines and procedures set forth in the West Cook YMCA Handbook.
- Assist the Healthy Living Department in finding substitutes when unable to attend a scheduled group fitness class or PT session.
- Attend and contribute to all mandatory staff meetings, workshops, and in-services.
- Keep the facility areas and equipment organized, clean, and inviting.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
- Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
- Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences
- Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
- Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work
- Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- Group exercise certification from one of the following certifying bodies: AFAA, ACSM, ACE, YMCA, ADAA, NSCA, or another reputable national organization.
- Current personal training certification through a national organization (ACE, NASM, ACSM, AFAA, NSCA, etc.).
- Knowledge of exercise physiology, kinesiology, safe training procedures, exercise program implementation, and proper cardiovascular, resistance, free weight, and related fitness equipment.
- Certification in CPR/AED, First Aid, and Bloodborne Pathogens through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
- Certification or willingness to receive certification in Child Abuse Prevention.
- Current and up-to-date certifications.
- Ability and willingness to respond to critical situations and act swiftly in an emergency.
- Understanding of the ACSM/ACE safety guidelines of contraindications.
- Professional and friendly customer service skills and clear verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with all age groups and fitness levels.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Willingness and ability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Walking, standing, and sitting (including on the floor) for long periods of time and while maintaining alertness.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Lifting and carrying supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Frequent bending, leaning, and kneeling.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.