A Win-Win—Togetherhood and Volunteering
Volunteer at the West Cook YMCA
A vibrant spirit of volunteerism has been at the core of the YMCA’s mission since its founding in 1844, when a group of young men came together to improve living conditions in London during the Industrial Revolution. Today, the Y is the leading volunteer-led charitable organization in the U.S. Across the country, 600,000 individuals volunteer at the Y to give back to their neighbors and advance our cause of strengthening communities.
West Cook YMCA volunteers:
- Lead YMCA boards of directors and committees
- Raise funds to ensure the Y is accessible to all members of the community
- Coach sports teams and teach classes
- Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and the pursuit of higher education and goals
- Extend a hand to help adults who want to do more, be more or live healthier
- Advocate for the Y’s efforts to influence policies and initiatives that positively impact societal issues of importance to the nation, and your community
- Participate in community service activities that support their neighbors
Through these efforts, volunteers help the Y remain relevant and responsive to community needs while enhancing the Y’s capacity to help more people access the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. Giving back to the community is part of the DNA of the YMCA movement. Volunteering is not only a benefit to the beneficiaries, but it also improves the life of the volunteer! Studies show that people who volunteer are happier, healthier and enjoy life more.
What’s the first step?
All volunteers are required to fill out our volunteer application and submit your email to Elizabeth Lopez email@example.com, or call 708.383.5200 to set up a time to talk and learn more.
We are working on implementing our new volunteer management system. Soon, all volunteers will be required to register through our volunteer management system. Once you have created your account and completed an online volunteer application, you’re all set to explore and select a volunteer opportunity that best fits your needs.
If you have questions, contact Elizabeth Lopez firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 708.383.5200 to set up a time to talk and learn more.
Volunteering at the West Cook YMCA is a great way to meet new friends and have a more purposeful life through sharing your time and talents to help others become their best selves. Come join us!
TogetherhoodTM is an excellent way to give back to your community while expanding your circle of friends. This program, developed by Y-USA, provides opportunities outside the Y to impact real needs in the neighborhoods we call home.
TogetherhoodTM is led by a committee of member volunteers who identify rewarding, convenient and fun service projects that will strengthen their community. These may be half-day projects that bring together a group of people to paint the house of a needy senior neighbor, or a weekly commitment to provide tutoring to a child who is struggling in school – and everything in between. There are no set schedules or time demands. You decide what you want to do and when you want to do it, and then recruit family, friends and other Y members to help you accomplish it.
What’s the first step?
- Join the TogetherhoodTM Service Committee
- Members serve for a year and commit to helping plan and run projects that strengthen the community. Committee members are passionate about giving back through volunteers and are willing to be an advocate for TogetherhoodTM to other Y members.
- Volunteer for a TogetherhoodTM service project!
- Bring along your friends or meet others when you participate on a Service Team. Participants do not need to be members of the Y to serve.
Get started today by completing an interest form here. Please contact Elizabeth Lopez at 708-434-0205 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
We’re big on volunteering—because every Y member deserves to be his or her best self!