A Word from Phillip
This winter may be dragging on, but you can beat the blues at the West Cook Y! We're excited about many new opportunities that are adding value to your membership. One of my favorites is Nationwide Membership, giving you access to 1000's of Ys across the country. Plus, more classes than ever are available this year at no additional charge to you, and we're launching exciting programs for youth, families and adult members.
Bottom line? We're working every day to make it the best time to be a West Cook Y member!
One way we can do that is to come alongside you and help you achieve the goals you've set for yourself. Our staff is all about encouraging you to succeed. Whether your goal is to lose weight, eat healthier, exercise more, meet new friends, learn a new skill like swimming - or whatever else you set as your personal wellness goal, we're on your team! We're here for you - to help you achieve your goals and we're truly excited to help you in a way that meets your needs.
To get you started, here are a few tips we recommend to help you stay on the path to wellness:
- Think small. Break your big resolutions into small, achievable goals. Instead of cutting chocolate out of your diet for good, vow to only have it a few times a week. Or trade your two sodas a day for one soda and a glass of water. Losing 25 pounds may seem impossible, so instead resolve to lose 2 pounds each month.
- Take it one step at a time. Trying to change too many habits at once can easily lead to frustration. Try making a "new month resolution." Focus on that one change for the month, and add another (small) change when the next month rolls around.
- Take advantage of the Y's holistic approach to health. When it comes to adding healthy behaviors like increasing physical activity, it's important to be part of a program that will keep you motivated. That's why at the West Cook Y, we're not just a gym. We're a community organization that is focused on offering more health, more hope and more opportunity.
- Talk it out. It's easier to stick to your resolutions if you have a partner or friend working toward similar goals. Team up with someone to set goals and help each other establish a game plan dedicated to achieving them. Set specific check-ins to help each other out of slumps and to cheer each other during the high points. We're honored that you choose to be a member at the West Cook Y. We're here to help you achieve your wellness goals, so let us know how we can help!
Beat the winter blues this winter and come to the Y!
President & CEO
Here are a few reminders about some great ways you can get more out of your membership:
- In partnership with Housing Forward, OPRF Food Pantry, and Westlake Hospital, we invite you to join us on for the Health & Wellness Fair held at St. John's Lutheran Church in Forest Park on Saturday, March 10th, from 8 am to 12 pm. The health fair features Community Health & Wellness Resource Information, Fitness Assessments, and Complimentary screenings.
- Did you receive your mailing to update your contact information? And did you take just a few minutes to update that info? Remember, one lucky member will receive a one-year membership to the West Cook YMCA. Everyone who updates their info by April 15th gets entered into the drawing. You can download the electronic form and email it back to Sierra Waller at email@example.com - and you may be enjoying your next year of Y membership for free!
- Want to help your kids live a healthier life? Check out Healthy Weight and Your Child, an opportunity for children and their parents to explore lifestyle changes that can lead to a healthy weight and combat childhood obesity. Classes are offered at the West Cook YMCA, Gottlieb Memorial Hospital and the West Suburban Medical Center. Ask Jenny Kraak for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2018 Camp Registration is now open! And here's a great deal -- register your child by April 30 and receive a free Summer Boost for every four weeks you register. Learn more about our fabulous summer camp program at www.westcookymca.org/camp
Did you know people with diabetes and prediabetes are at greater risk for heart attack and stroke?
- In honor of American Heart Month, we are sharing a video to increase awareness about the connection between diabetes and heart disease. Did you know people with diabetes and prediabetes are at greater risk for heart attack and stroke? The good news is that The West Cook YMCA has some incredible resources for individuals with diabetes and prediabetes to reduce their risk. For individuals with diabetes, we offer Take Charge of Your Diabetes, and for individuals with prediabetes, we offer the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program. Please reach out to our Chronic Disease Program Coordinator, Jenny Kraak, at email@example.com or (708) 434-0249, to learn more.