Aquatics: Head Swim Team Coach
Job Type: Full Time
Category: Swim Team
Compensation: $45,000 ($40,000 salary plus $5,000 in performance based bonuses
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
In collaboration with the Director of Youth and Aquatic Programming and Services, the Head Coach will be responsible for all practice and meet administration, planning, and implementation of a high-quality Competitive Swim Team Program. The Head Coach will ensure the Y’s administration, fellow coaches and team families are receiving proactive communications related but not limited to team participants, parents, officials, team updates, schedules, and team activities and administration. As well as ensuring daily practices, completing meet entries, seasonal scheduling, and supervision of assistant coaches as to.
The Head Coach will focus on the following core performance indicators: Team Enrollment and Retention, Individual Athletic performance, Overall Team Performance, Hosted Meet Performance and increasing the West Cook YMCA’s Team Club Recognition Level to the next level. Although the Head Coach is expected to determine how to accomplish and achieve these goals, they are also invited to lean on the support of the YMCA Association teams and support functions.
- Oversees coaching for all West Cook YMCA competitive swim team training groups, schedules and secures practice facilities. Designs and schedules practices to bring out the full potential of all swimmers and set fair and realistic goals and expectations.
- Ensures compliance with all YMCA Aquatic Safety protocols as well as all USA Swimming guidelines and safety protocols. As well as works with Aquatics Operations Manager to ensure facility is safe for all team activities.
- Assures recruitment, hiring, training and development of team coaches and sets schedules for and directs coaching personnel accordingly. Most importantly ensure we have sufficient YMCA meet officials.
- Works with coaching staff to design trainings that develop, retain and bring out the potential of all levels of swimmers. Commits to integrating character development elements in all participants, particularly youth. Annually reevaluates and updates program goals and objectives as well as develops plans to achieve said goals.
- Plays an important role in the new member/participant welcome process by helping members through the registration process, fielding questions, scheduling new swimmer evaluations outside of tryouts and being the main point of contact for swimmers and families on deck.
- Ensures timely and effective communications with coaches, athletes, parents, prospective members, and YMCA staff. Responds to all member and community inquiries and concerns in a timely manner. Updates parents and team on performance statistics.
- Develops, monitors, and maintains guidelines of program budget to meet fiscal goals and objectives to reevaluate annually, with multi-year vision of program. Maintains awareness of scholarship applications.
- Compiles program statistics to monitor and evaluate effectiveness of program. Keeps YMCA Leadership informed on program statistics. Compiles, reviews, and evaluates the effectiveness of, and participation in, the program.
- Administers athlete registrations, monetary processing, and maintain records of coaching staff credentials with the use of Team Unify and DAXKO.
- Plans, implements, and coordinates both hosted swim meets with the use of Team/Meet Manager Software and Colorado timing equipment.
- In collaboration with the Marketing team ensures we are actively promoting and recruiting to grow enrollment and ensures the team website and team unify are up to date and functional for the team’s needs.
- Other duties and administrative support as assigned by the Director of Youth and Aquatic Programming and Services.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Must be a college graduate with 3-5+ years of swim coaching experience in a YMCA or USA-Swimming program.
- ASCA Level 3 certification or higher preferred.
- Current USA-Swimming coaching certification, including CPR/ First Aid/AED/ Lifeguarding/ Coaches Safety Training, YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming & Diving and background check, USA Swimming Minor Athlete Protection Program Certification, Concussion Protocol Certification, and Anti-doping Certification.
- Knowledge of swimming and the development of young athletes.
- Ability to work with and relate to people of all ages.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Experience participating, coaching, or running a swim meet.
- Experience with swim team and swim meet computer programs
- Ability to work more than a 40-hour week with irregular work hours including early mornings, late nights, and weekends.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to view/enter data for long periods of time.
- Total Compensation potential of $45,000 comprised of ($40,000 Salary plus $5,000 in Performance Based Bonuses.)
- Medical and Dental Insurance Plans
- YMCA Retirement benefits
- Life Insurance Policy, Long-Term Disability, and Additional Coverage Options
Please send email and resume to Phillip Jimenez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The West Cook YMCA is a mandated Covid-19 vaccine workplace.
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer.