Youth Development: Lead Teacher
Job Type: Part Time
Category: Youth Development
West Cook YMCA - Youth Development Site
St. John Lutheran Church
305 Circle Avenue
Forest Park, IL
The Lead Teacher will actively lead and engage scholars in all program components and activities of the YMCA Afterschool Signature Program. A successful candidate will be committed to a child centered approach to youth development with a focus on instilling character development values. In addition, will implement enrichment opportunities for scholars to support growth in academic, physical, and social emotional development. To ensure full implementation of program components and program goals the Lead Teacher is expected to participate in ongoing professional development and planning sessions on a scheduled basis.
To learn more about the YMCA Afterschool Signature Program, please visit one of our program sites website landing page: www.westcookymca.org/d89asp or www.westcookymca.org/d90asp
- The Lead Teacher will use best practices, guidelines, and methods of youth development in daily work and provides careful, attentive supervision while promoting learning and safety.
- Facilitates a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children.
- In partnership with the Site Manager, implements a quality program according to the program nine components and site implementation plan.
- Ensuring the experience is delivered in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants.
- Preparing classrooms for daily activities and collaborating with program staff to ensure that objectives are reached, and the classroom is organized and effective.
- Maintain accurate classroom records as assigned and according to program requirements.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of YMCA mission, purpose and goals, childcare policies, and YMCA standards; ensures the program meets the highest standards of excellence.
COMPENSATION AND SCHEDULE
- $25 per hour
- Afterschool Program Typical shift 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm, plus additional hours as needed for Out of School Time programs
EMAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: email@example.com
The West Cook YMCA is a mandated Covid-19 vaccine workplace.
THE WEST COOK YMCA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Bachelor’s degree is required, education or youth development field preferred.
- Two or more years prior experience working with school-aged children (ages 5-12)
- Experienced in implementing program activities and tasks.
- Exceptional group management, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Flexibility, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to build relationships and influence students.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills appropriate for interacting with both children and adults.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency