Job Type: Part Time
Compensation: $16 per hour
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Operations Manager, the Lifeguard is responsible for the safety and well-being of all aquatic facility patrons and may be called to respond to non-aquatic emergencies. The lifeguard will ensure facility rules are adhered to, the pool deck is safe, clean and organized, the water chemistry is balanced, and water temperature is maintained.
- Responsible for the safety of all individuals by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area during operating hours.
- Responds immediately to emergency situations accordance with Red Cross and YMCA policies and procedures.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures equipment is available, and tests the pool to ensure chemical levels are as they should be.
- Ensures all patrons adhere to all guidelines and rules set in the West Cook YMCA Member Handbook.
- Maintains professional, courteous relationships with members, program participants, and staff.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Minimum age of 16.
- Must be able to demonstrate the required skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Must be able to perform the Lifeguard certification pre-test
- Must have current certifications to include but not limited to: YMCA/ American Red Cross Lifeguard certification or equivalent, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen or ability to obtain prior to starting
- Ability to work with and relate to people of all ages.
- Must have the ability to solve problems as they arise and be able to perform tasks without supervision.
- Must be highly motivated and able to assume a positive and active role in the WCY, even while working under potentially stressful conditions (warm pool facility, upset or injured participants, etc.).
- Must have the ability to be firm with participants, when necessary, enforce WCY rules, and make sound decisions in order to secure the safety and well-being of all members, guests, facilities, and equipment.
- Ability to resolve conflict safely, calmly and effectively.
- Maintain attentiveness to actively hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Readiness to frequently enter the water as necessary.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend, lean, kneel, and sit alertly for extended periods of time.
- Actively scan and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
Must be able to and willing to lift average child and safety equipment if and when necessary
$16.00 per hour
- Monday – Friday: 3:00 – 7:30 pm
- Monday – Friday: 6:30 – 9:30 pm
- Saturday: 8 am – 1 pm
- Sunday: 10 am – 1 pm
The West Cook YMCA is a mandated Covid-19 vaccine workplace.
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer.