Job Type: Part Time
Compensation: $15-$18 per hour
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
Under the direction of the Aquatic Director, the swim instructor provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Communicates and builds effective relationships with students and parents.
- Communicates information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Responsible for the safety of the participants in their classes. Acts immediately and appropriately in the event of an emergency.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all West Cook YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Sets up and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Adhere to all guidelines and procedures set by the West Cook YMCA Handbook and Aquatic Manual.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- At least 16 years of age.
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer