Aquatics: Swim Instructor
Job Type: Part Time
Compensation: $16-$20 per hour
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
Under the direction of the Aquatics Operations Manager, the swim instructor delivers the YMCA swim lesson curriculum in group swim lessons and private/semi-private swim lessons. The swim instructor will be responsible for building strong and confident swimmers by creating opportunities that build a sense of achievement and ensure their safety in and around water.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly that meet the needs of the participants.
- Communicates and builds effective relationships with swimmers and parents.
- Communicates information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers swimmers and parents to other programs.
- Responsible for the safety of the participants in their classes. Acts immediately and appropriately in the event of an emergency.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, incident and accident reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Adheres to all West Cook YMCA policies, rules, regulations, and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures.
- Ensures a safe space by making sure to prepare program space and stores all class equipment and notified Operations Manager of any damaged equipment.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
- Minimum age of 16.
- Must be able to demonstrate the required skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Performs the four core swim strokes.
- Must have current certifications to include but not limited to: YMCA Swim Lesson Certification, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen or ability to obtain prior to starting.
- Ability to work with and relate to people of all ages and abilities.
- Must have the ability to solve problems as they arise and perform tasks without supervision.
- Ability to communicate with staff and participants in clear, concise manner.
- Ability to handle questions, complaints and concerns from staff, members, and participants in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner.
- Must be able to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Must be able to remain in the water for an extended period and readiness to frequently enter the water as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Exposure to humidity/warm temperature.
$16.00 to $20.00 based on certification and years of experience.
- Monday – Friday: 3:00 – 7:30 pm
- Saturday: 9 am – 1 pm
- Sunday: 10:30 am – 1 pm
The West Cook YMCA is a mandated Covid-19 vaccine workplace.
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer.