Healthy Living: Full Time Fitness Professional
Job Type: Full Time
Category: Healthy Living
West Cook YMCA
255 S. Marion St.
Oak Park, Il 60302
The West Cook YMCA has made a commitment to providing premiere fitness programming that enhances individuals’ health and well-being while also fostering connections and building community. They provide instruction for group fitness classes onsite and offsite, conduct one-on-one and small group personal training (PT) sessions, offer fitness consultations and Wellness Center orientations, and assist with other Fitness and Community Health programming activities. Fitness Professionals are the frontline staff in this movement and play a crucial role in helping participants to advance their workout efficiency, improve their fitness level, and most importantly, make strides towards achieving a greater sense of health and well-being.
- Model the YMCA’s commitment to improving health and well-being.
- Conduct a weekly minimum of 8 Personal Training sessions, 10 group fitness classes, 4 community health programs / Administrative and 8 fitness consultations or wellness floor orientations.
- Design and implement biomechanically sound PT programs and progressions directly related to the client’s level and goals; document the client’s progress and maintain client files.
- Consistently indicate availability, projecting a minimum of 6-8 weeks into the future, using YMCA scheduling software.
- Allow adequate time pre/post class to engage with participants to help build a greater sense of community and provide opportunities for health literacy.
- Be knowledgeable of and enforce YMCA procedures and protocols related to fitness programming
- Respond immediately to emergency situations in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Adhere to all guidelines and procedures set forth in the West Cook YMCA Handbook.
- Assist the Healthy Living Department in finding substitutes when unable to attend a scheduled group fitness class or PT session.
- Attend and contribute to all mandatory staff meetings, workshops, and in-services.
- Keep the facility areas and equipment organized, clean, safe, and inviting.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
- Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
- Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences
- Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
- Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work
- Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES:
- Current Group Fitness certification from one of the following certifying bodies: AFAA, NASM, ACE, or another NCCA accredited organization.
- Current personal training certification from one of the following certifying bodies: AFAA, NASM, ACE, or another NCCA accredited organization.
- Knowledge of exercise physiology, kinesiology, safe training procedures, exercise program implementation, and proper cardiovascular, resistance, free weight, and related fitness equipment.
- Certification in CPR/AED, First Aid, and Bloodborne Pathogens through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
- Certification or willingness to receive certification in Child Abuse Prevention.
- Current and up-to-date certifications.
- Ability and willingness to respond to critical situations and act swiftly in an emergency.
- Understanding of the NASM/ACE safety guidelines of contraindications.
- Professional and friendly customer service skills and clear verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with all age groups and fitness levels.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Willingness and ability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Walking, standing, and sitting (including on the floor) for long periods of time and while maintaining alertness.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Lifting and carrying supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Frequent bending, leaning, and kneeling.
- Total compensation potential of $30,000 to $40,000 Annual non-exempt
- Medical and Dental Insurance Plans
- YMCA Retirement benefits
- Life Insurance Policy, Long-Term Disability, and Additional Coverage Options
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The West Cook YMCA is a mandated Covid-19 vaccine workplace.
The West Cook YMCA is an equal opportunity employer.