The assistant teacher is a school age youth development worker that will actively lead and engage scholars in all program components and activities of the YMCA Afterschool Signature Program. Responsible for the daily supervision of an assigned group, is a positive adult role model, and guides scholars to support academic, social emotional, and physical development. To accomplish this, assistant teachers will be required to participate in ongoing professional development and planning sessions with lead teachers and site managers on a regular scheduled basis.
To learn more about the YMCA Afterschool Signature Program, please visit one of our program sites website landing page: www.westcookymca.org/d89asp or www.westcookymca.org/d90asp
- Leads enrichment activities and engages youth in youth leadership and character development opportunities.
- Facilitates a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children.
- Provides careful, attentive supervision, alert at all times.
- Follows program lesson and implementation plans in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants.
- Serves as a positive role model, demonstrates professional behavior, and understand positive youth development approaches to the academic and social development of youth.
- Maintain accurate classroom records as assigned and according to program requirements.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of YMCA mission, purpose and goals, childcare policies and YMCA standards; ensures the program meets the highest standards of excellence.