A Win-Win—Togetherhood and Volunteering
Volunteer at the West Cook YMCA
A vibrant spirit of volunteerism has been at the core of the YMCA’s mission since its founding in 1844, when a group of young men came together to improve living conditions in London during the Industrial Revolution. Today, the Y is the leading volunteer-led charitable organization in the U.S. Across the country, 600,000 individuals volunteer at the Y to give back to their neighbors and advance our cause of strengthening communities.
West Cook YMCA volunteers:
- Lead YMCA boards of directors and committees
- Raise funds to ensure the Y is accessible to all members of the community
- Coach sports teams and teach classes
- Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and the pursuit of higher education and goals
- Extend a hand to help adults who want to do more, be more or live healthier
- Advocate for the Y’s efforts to influence policies and initiatives that positively impact societal issues of importance to the nation, and your community
- Participate in community service activities that support their neighbors
Through these efforts, volunteers help the Y remain relevant and responsive to community needs while enhancing the Y’s capacity to help more people access the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. Giving back to the community is part of the DNA of the YMCA movement. Volunteering is not only a benefit to the beneficiaries, but it also improves the life of the volunteer! Studies show that people who volunteer are happier, healthier and enjoy life more.
What’s the first step?
All volunteers are required to fill out our volunteer application and submit your email to Tara Lenardi at email@example.com, or call 708.383.5200 to set up a time to talk and learn more.
Get started today by completing an interest form here. Please contact Tara Lenardi at 708-383-5200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
We’re big on volunteering—because every Y member deserves to be his or her best self!